back


Lincoln Scully Building, Lincoln, Illinois



Lincoln Photo: a fantastic Lincoln Photograph Featuring Scully Building, Lincoln, Illinois

Photograph Taken On Sunday, April 2, 2017


Explore #16 on November 26, 2020. A view of the Scully Building on the southwest corner of N. Kickapoo and Pekin St. in downtown Lincoln. It should be noted that all of the buildings in this view lie within the Lincoln Courthouse Square Historic District that was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1985. The Scully Building is an example of Richardsonian Romanesque, a style of Romanesque Revival architecture named after architect Henry Hobson Richardson (1838-1886). Designed by architect E.S. Somers, the Scully Building was completed in 1909 for the son and widow of "Lord" William Scully as the headquarters for the Scully family operations. The building was used as both an office and living quarters. William Scully (1821-1906), was one of the largest landowners of tenant farmland in the Midwest. He eventually owned a total of 211,000 acres in Illinois, Kansas, Missouri, and Nebraska, including 30,000 acres in Logan County. Additionally, Mr. Scully was a pioneer leader with respect to scientific farming; particularly with soil conservation practices and techniques. The Scully Building is a "significant property" within the Lincoln Courthouse Square Historic District. Nearly destroyed in a 2001 fire, the Scully Building, under the ownership of Integrity Holdings, was restored between 2008 and 2010. In 2011, the building and its owners were awarded the Landmarks Illinois Richard H. Driehaus Foundation Preservation Award for rehabilitation and preservation. The building is now the home office of Integrity Data. To the south (left) of the Scully Building in the 100 block of N. Kickapoo St. are two commercial structures worth noting. The red brick structure is a two story, two-part commercial, Italianate-style building constructed in 1890. Next to it is another two story, two-part commercial building with a stone facade. Constructed in 1895 for the Knights of Columbus, this Romanesque Revival building is similar in style to the Scully Building. Within the historic district, the brick facade building is a contributing property, while the KOC building, like the Scully Building on the corner, is a significant property in Lincoln Courthouse Square Historic District. Lincoln is the seat of Logan County, which is situated in central Illinois approximately 26 miles northeast of Springfield, the state capitol. The estimated population of Lincoln in 2018 was 13,685.View image on Flickr

Lincoln media gallery

why not have a look at some of the Lincoln videos and photos, you may even spot yourself! As an ideal antidote to rainy days.
  Lincoln Restaurants Lincoln Pictures  Lincoln Restaurants Lincoln Videos